2012–2015 San Diego State University Master of Fine Arts, Emphasis in Graphic Design
2009–2010 Sacramento City College Associates of Science, Graphic Communications
2005–2006 University of Redlands Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential
2002–2003 King’s College, London Year abroad with emphasis in English Literature
2000–2004 University of California, San Diego Bachelor of Arts in Literatures in English, Creative Writing
2013–2014 San Diego State University Graduate Teaching Associate
Typography 2, Digital Media: Adobe Creative Suite Software Course
2013–2014 San Diego State University Teaching Assistant
Typography 2, History of Graphic Design
2005–2006 Bear Valley Unified School District High School Teacher
Yearbook, ninth and tenth grade English, Long-Term Substitute High School Teacher: Spanish 1, CLAD Certified
2005 Lucerne Valley Jr. and Sr. High School Middle School Teacher
Seventh and eighth grade Language Arts/History summer school program
graphic design positions
CREATIVE DIRECTOR/VISUAL DESIGNER & DEVELOPER | Stapko Design | 2009–present
Stapko Design is a boutique graphic and web design firm offering graphic design, front-end web development and screenprinting.
- Oversee, develop, and implement all stages of print and web projects including promotional print materials, branding systems, fliers and posters, exhibition signage, reports and programs, portfolio and e-commerce websites.
- Design print and digital materials for a diverse client base, including San Diego State University, San Diego Comic Fest, Sole Bodysurfing Handplanes, LAWcraft Firm, BulbCycle Lamp Recycling, Evil Hat Productions, CelestiCon and Big Bad Con Gaming Conventions, Law Offices of Branson & Branson, LLP.
- Design and develop WordPress and Shopify websites that are fully responsive, ADA compliant and search engine optimized.
- Implement, customize and maintain WordPress themes, templates and plugins.
- Conduct client outreach.
- Develop and manage marketing plan.
GRAPHIC DESIGNER | San Diego State University Special Collections and University Archives | 2014–2015
SDSU Special Collections and University Archives (SCUA) is part of the Library and Information Access department on campus. SCUA houses rare, fine, unique, and valuable books, periodicals, manuscripts, and documents which require preservation, security and care in handling.
- Developed and implemented an entire graphic system, including infographics, wall displays, website, and case displays for the Spirit Lab Exhibit in Love Library from 2014–2015.
- Developed and implemented all graphics, including the development of a typeface, for the Peoples Temple at Jonestown Exhibit currently on display in Special Collections.
- Developed promotional materials for various SCUA lectures and events as well as the department brochure.
- Photographed rare items for display on the website as well as for use in donor outreach materials.
RESEARCH & ART ASSISTANT | San Diego State University | 2014
The School of Art & Design is home to approximately 927 undergraduate and 46 graduate candidates in a variety of disciplines. SDSU is the largest university in San Diego and the third largest in California.
- Assisted Professor Arzu Ozkal with screenprinting pieces for the exhibition A Family Affair in 2015 which included art refinement, and all aspects of screenprinting process.
- Assisted Professor Arzu Ozkal with development of printed electronic displays for the Phage Art & Science Exhibition at SDSU in 2015. This included art development, printing with experimental electroluminescent inks, Arduino and electronics.
GRAPHIC DESIGNER/COMMUNICATIONS ANALYST | University of California, Davis | 2006–2012
UC Davis ranks ninth among the nation’s top public research universities and is one of ten campuses in the world-renowned University of California system.
Graphic designer and front-end web developer.
Notable projects include:
- Annual Report layout for office of Administrative and Resource Management and Facilities Management.
- Presentation design for Office of the Vice Chancellor for various budget meetings with University of California Office of the President.
- UC Davis Arboretum 50th Anniversary website (WordPress).
- UC Davis Dedications Website (HTML, CSS & Dreamweaver).
- UC Davis Olive Oil event promotional materials (posters, signs, invitations).
- Social media management for UC Davis Buildings and Grounds Division, UC Davis Olive Oil, UC Davis Good Life Garden.
- Wayfinding signage for the UC Davis Robert Mondavi Institute for Wine and Food Science.
- Graphic design for day-to-day operations including user manuals, event promotional materials and budget reports.
- Packaging design and product photography for UC Davis Campus Grown program.
commissioned design work
2014 Canciones de Lucha Website
client SDSU Special Collections and University Archives
Responsive and ADA compliant website addition/re-design/coding.
2014 It’s Alive: Comics and the Arts Visibility Initiative at SDSU
client SDSU Comic Arts Committee
Poster design for Comic-Con International.
2014 SDSU Library ibase Digital Archives Website
client SDSU Digital Archives
ibase online archiving website user interface design.
2013 Comic-Con Kids Website
client SDSU Library and Information Access
Website design and WordPress site setup/coding.
2013 The Core Research Center Website
client Third Degree Advertising, Oklahoma University
2013 LAWcraft Website
client LAWcraft Law Firm
2013–present Promotional Materials and Event Collateral
client Comic Fest Comic Convention
Web artwork, promotional material design (flyers, posters), event program and schedule.
2012–present Evil Hat Website
client Evil Hat Game Company
Website re-design with wordpress, additional site artwork as needed
2011–present Branding System and Event Collateral
client Big Bad Con Role Playing Game Convention
Branding, website illustration, promotional material design (t-shirts, buttons, flyers, posters), event collateral design (displays, signage, program).
client CelestiCon Role Playing Game Convention
Annual poster and t-shirt illustration.
presentations and guest lectures
2015 SDSU Student Research Symposium Creative and Performing Arts Program
Mutable Typography: Development of the Typeface Model Q
2014 SDSU Student Research Symposium Creative and Performing Arts Pilot Program
Reflexive Truths: Process and Signification
2014 SDSU ART 345: History of Graphic Design
The Asian Contribution
2013 SDSU ART 345: History of Graphic Design
The Bauhaus and the New Typography
The Modern Movement in America
2015 Inter/ra Text: MFA Thesis Exhibition, San Diego State University
2015 Art Council Scholarship Exhibition Athenaeum, La Jolla, California
2014 Whose Comfort Zone are you In? San Diego State University exhibition of graduate work
2013 Headless San Diego State University exhibition of graduate work
accolades and groups
2015 Creative Arts Research Excellence Award at the 2015 SDSU Student Research Symposium Creative and Performing Arts Program for presentation: Mutable Typography: Development of the Typeface Model Q
2015 Awarded SDSU Art Council Scholarship
2015 Awarded SDSU School of Art and Design Paul Lingren Family Memorial Scholarship
2014 First Runner-Up at the 2014 SDSU Student Research Symposium Creative and Performing Arts Pilot Program for presentation: Reflexive Truths: Process and Signification
2013–2014 Graphic Designer for San Diego State University Comic Arts Committee
2013 Member of SDSU Chapter of American Association for Graphic Artists (AIGA)
2010 Award Conferred by UC Davis Vice Chancellor of Administrative Resource Management for excellent Annual Report design and layout.
2009 CraigMichaels, Inc. Summit. PowerPoint presentation rating 9.1 out of 10 for design
Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Dreamweaver, Microsoft Office, WordPress, Shopify, SEO, PC and Mac Operating Systems, HTML and CSS, Social Media, Rhinoceros 3D, FontLab Studio, pre-press preparation, copyrighting/editing in according with AP Stylebook, Processing, Arduino, printed electronics, screenprinting, handmade book-binding, woodcut printing and letterpress.